Friday 8 July 2011

A match made in heaven - MCNs and reuseable wipes

Transferring page notes over
So one problem I've come across in my cloth loving journey is wipes. My problem with wipes is trifold...

1. After years of bum changing (I'm an early childhood teacher BP (Before Pie) so have changed quite a few in my time) I've found the cheap wipes are my preference, I'm not a fan of the huggies ones, they are too thick and tear too easily. I don't like wipes to be too wet, too dry, too smelly, too thick or too thin. Most of the cheap ones don't work for us now tho as my little Cutie Pie has a sensitive toosh so we switched to a hypoallergenic brand but they seem a big waste of money when on a tight budget.

2. Disposing of wipes is a bit of a drama - they tend to get flushed down the toilet with our flushable liners *shhhhhh* - definately not ideal or environmentally friendly but a bag of wet and soiled wipes is not something I want in my bubs room, or they end up in the washing - yuck!

3. Thirdly I worry what goes into wipes solution? Is it really something I want to be putting on my little Cutie Pies butt???

So my problems are - cost, disposal and ingredients (in case you couldn't decipher that from my ramblings!)

This week I decided, if I'm washing nappies, why aren't I just washing wipes too?? My mum always used warm water on a washer with my younger siblings but I wanted something; - more convenient - right there on the change table and ready to go, rather than up to my elbows in number 3 and realising I've forgotten to wet a washer or need a second one (ok I'm exagerating slightly, after all the nappy changing experience I've had I don't end up 'up to my elbows' in it very often), - and more effective - My Cutie Pie has some intolerances we're working out and her poo's are pretty sticky so not all that easy to clean off!

After some reading I decided to try out the following solution which I mixed up in a bottle:

5 cups of hot water (recipe I found suggested 2.5cups but I thought that was too concentrated so dilluted it)
1 T of dry skin wash (I use Alpha Kerri)
1 T of baby wash (we use Johnson's blue brand wash for bubble baths when Pie and I have a big bath together, the recipes suggested 2 T of the baby wash  but I thought this was a bit too strong so used 1 of baby wash and 1 of the alpha kerri which was suggested to me as ideal bath solutions for newborns, either should work fine)
1.5 T of Johnsons sleepy time oil as it was given to me as a gift and I don't mind the smell of it
a few drops of tea tree oil - to keep any nasties from developing

I just had some thin washers that I put in a container and poured enough sollution on them to make them damp. I've been using these for the past 2 days and Im very happy :) Once I find the perfect container for storing them in they will be the perfect partner for my mcns :) Now I just have to get husband to use them too!

:) Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment