Thursday 8 December 2011

How cloth has changed my life!

Hello world,

As you all know, I love using cloth nappies but I was thinking tonight, it really has changed my life!

Its saved me money - even tho we have bought some nice nappies and have a sizeable stash I've still saved on what I would have paid for sposies. And Pie is only the first of I hope many babies (well probably 3 cos I don't know if I'll have many more pregnancies in me than 3!) so its only the start of the savings.

I feel good about leaving less impact on the environment - I feel good knowing that we are doing our part for a better future for our beautiful girl. I feel good knowing we are raising her to see the importance and ease of reusing, to not be caught in the throw away mentaility that our society has somehow come to.

I love how happy and comfy my Pie is in them, she rarely gets rashes now that we use cloth and she looks adorable in it!

MCN Lovers R Us - what a life changing experience that has been! I feel so proud of having made something that has turned out to be so successful already, I feel good knowing that ppl come to my page for help and they get it! I feel good when I see what a happy community it has become! And I've taken the online cloth adventure one step further and co-founded Unite for Cloth - a group encouraging people to be cloth advocates by providing the information, handouts etc to make it easier to speak up for cloth. Its only 4 days old but I can't wait to see how it grows!

But the way that cloth has changed my life the most is the amazing women I now call my friends - none of whom have I met!

I have 2 Christmas cards hanging on a piece of ribbon strung across my lounge room window - they are both from women I have never met but I call my friends now and our shared love of cloth bought us together!

When I check my email now I'm often emailing back and forth with a wonderful lady who I'll call L - she makes such beautiful nappies and has such a kind heart, she lives in SA. Or it'll be one from C who lives in Melbourne and has such an amazing spirit! She works so hard and gives without any thought of take! Or it'll be comments of my blog from E who is the ultimate Mummy/business woman combo - she really understands and values family and she is also one of the loveliest women I've ever encountered! She lives far far away in WA! When I log onto facebook my notifications are always packed! There is K who is like a soul sister, we send parcels to each other swapping all sorts of little nic-nacs and my baby girl has dollies named after her baby girls! Or A who has the most fun spirit of any person I have ever known and makes awesome Xmas decorations! There are J and J who I can always count on to share the Mummy joy whenever I put up a photo or a post about my girl! And thats just the start!

These new friendships are so wonderful! During my pregnancy with Pie I had to give up my job (at 16wks - so very early!) and my independence and I lost alot of self-confidence and I got somewhat forgotten about by alot of my closest friends - suddenly I was pretty well housebound or needed my husband to drive me to places, get out the wheelchair and push me around - it was a lot of work PLUS we had next to no money and I was in pain so it quickly became too hard for my friends and I to really see each other and 9months on my confidence is still shaky and my friendships are still not the same as they were. BUT meeting these wonderful ppl reminds me that there is a whole big world out there and that things change for a reason!

Cloth has changed my world, how has it changed yours?

Jodi xo

4 comments:

  1. In very much the same ways...money is one of the big things (though not this week LOL) And providing me a business opportunity but I have to confess my favourite part is the friends too...You are all very special to me and provide encouragement when I really need it. My world is much richer for having "met" you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I do feel pretty good when I wheel the wheelie bin out each week and even with 7 people in the house, it is rarely full :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is impressive!!! I honestly don't know how ppl use sposies in my area - we have 3 bins - 1 recycling, 1 rubbish and 1 green waste bin that gets collected and taken to the worm farm.
    Now the rubbish bin is one of thoe little wheelie bins and it only gets picked up fortnightly - so I really wonder where ppl who have 1 or 2 in sposies put them!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a recycling bin which goes once a fortnight and a rubbish bin, which is a big one, and goes every week. I love that it is often only half full (except at birthdays and Christmas) We also have chooks so most of our food scraps go to them, or the dog :D

    ReplyDelete