Sunday 18 March 2012

A Very Hungry Caterpillar 1st Birthday


Hello world,
Just wanted to share a few pics of Pie's birthday party which had a VHC theme :)

 The start of every good party is ofcourse the invite! It lets the guests see just a sneak peak of what to expect at the party AND when to turn up and where!
We planned a party at the park as you can see but it got rained out so we moved to my parents house. Things were alot more hectic with close to 60 party goers stuck in the entertaining room but atleast we all stayed dry.

The invites were created in paint with some googled graphics cut and pasted with the party info and one of the photos we had taken of Piper last year by Willowtree Moments in her VHC bcheeks nappy with her VHC toy. The headband she is wearing in the photo is by GemmaJoy. I printed the invites out as photos - 10c each thanks Big W.

The loot bags were pretty simple but not quite what I had planned! I REALLY wanted butterfly shaped crayons but couldn't find butterfly moulds the right size anywhere so instead husband and I sat up til midnight a few nights before the party melting crayons and pouring them into star shaped moulds to make chunky crayons for little fungers to hold. I included a copy of the VHC colouring page from The Eric Carle web site, some bubbles, a fruit bar and a fruit sherbet (for looks, not for the babies to eat! But I hope the Mums and Dads enjoyed them) OH and the tags were just the invites that I didn't get around to delivering, chopped up with thank you printed on the back!


 
The menu wrote itself - apples, pears, plums, straberries and oranges obviously and icecream cone cupcakes (above), cheese, salami, sausages, chocolate cake, cupcakes, gherkins/pickles, lollipops, watermelon etc
The cake I had big plans for then decided to save some money and make my own! I again had big plans for it BUT couldn't find the props I needed so instead we had a simple marbled madiera cake (marbled in orange, purple and pink to match Pies outfit!) which I covered in dots and I made some little smartie caterpillars along the side too. Pretty boring but my first ever birthday cake and it tasted good atleast. I wanted white icing but didn't realise when you make butter frosting its yellow like butter (hehe) so instead (at husbands suggestion) we went with pale green. If I had my time again I'd have covered the top in smarties (aldi's M&Ms to be precise) rather than leaving gaps between the lines and I'd buy white food dye but oh well :)




For the party decorations I recycled some of the white paper lanterns we used to decorate our wedding. I bought them on ebay (along with red and black ones) nice and cheap but they've been in storage since then. I got some out, dusted them off and I painted a very hungray caterpillar. Now let me say, i LOVE this guy! I love him so much that I'm redecorating Pie's room so he can live in there with her! All I did was use a sponge brush and paint the lanterns - 5 green ones for his body and 1 red head. I painted the eyes and nose on paper which I cut out and glued on and voila! No antenae BUT I'll put some on before I hang him up in Pie's room - maybe some pipe cleaners will do the job. I then used some VHC theme fabric and pasted a big 1 on another lantern to hang up too. These all would have looked gorgeous hanging in the trees if the weather had been good!


And the VHC fabric also leant itself to some party bunting
- this will also be going in the newly decorated room!

And of course - the birthday girl needed a special birthday party outfit!
A 5 minute tutu in purple, orange, yellow and green.
Simply cut and join elastic to the size of the
wearers waist, cut strips of tulle to twice the
length you want the tutu to be - fold them
in half and loops them on! The more strips
you add the more it'll stick out. There are
tutorials for these everywhere!

A lolli-pop top!
I cut some VHC dot fabric to fit in her shirt, ironed on some
backing, pinned it inside her shirt. Then used chalk to draw
a swirly pattern for the lollipop on the shirt (make sure u draw
where the inside fabric is not off its edges!) closing off the
outside line so it touches onto itself (see in the picture?).
Sewed along the spiral then cut out the excess fabric
between the lines inside the lollipop (careful not to cut
the backing fabric) Sew on a ribbon 'stick' and ur done!


The birthday girl (see how the lollipops
stitched outline seals off at the end?)

And ofcourse a matching hair clip!
This cute little birthday 'fascinato' was
created especially to co-ordinate with
the whole outfit by our friends at
Little G designs.

And a simple birthday bib to keep the cake off her pretty top!
Appliqued a one and used vintage buttons to create a very
hungry caterpillar :)



jodi x

No comments:

Post a Comment