Saturday 30 July 2011

Little Leg Warmers!

Hello world :)

Well as most of the MCN addicts will know, another match made in heaven is the MCN and legwarmer ensemble :) Because of this I went a little crazy and got Pie like 5 or 6 pairs on ebay a few months back. Sadly, they aren't going to fit her til who knows when! Luckily, one of my favourite blogs : Little Pink Monster : showed me just how easy it is to make your own legwarmers. Now in her tutorial she uses ladies socks, I've used girls socks, size 2-8 but when you see them on you'll see I could have gotten away with the size smaller, so if your making them for a little newborn feel free to get smaller ones, Pie will get plenty of wear out of these anyway :) She is 5 months and about 5.5kg right now.



 So I started with a 4 pack of girls socks - the brilliance of this is that grisl socks are MUCH cuter than ladies socks and they were cheap - I got these from Kmart for $7 - 4 pairs of socks = 4 pairs of leg warmers, for $7? Nice!
In the picture you can see 3 pairs of socks and 1 finished legwarmer but I wasn't happy with the stripes not matching up so I unpicked it and as you will later, went a different way anyway :)




Now for the next step you take your sock and chop it up, pretty simple. The ankle bit becomes the leg warmer, the foot bit becomes the cuff and the other bits become rubbish :-)







This becomes this






Then you fold the foot piece in half and slide it onto the ankle part so all the cut edges are together. Depending on the pattern/print on the sock your using, you may need to line them up very carefully or you may be able to just slip it on and be good to go.

(As you can see I decided to mix the socks up so I had contrasting cuffs on my leg warmer. As they were all in a pack together they looked so much better when I swapped the pieces around :)


Then pin the cuff to the 'leg' of the leg warmer like so. (If you're a more advanced sewer you won't need to put so many pins in but I prefer to make sure everythings all pinned securely so I don't wreck it!)


Then sew it on the inside in a nice straight line all the way around until they are connected. I couldn't manage photos and sewing but you can check Little Pink Monster for the tutorial if my instructions aren't making any sense. Then turn the cuff out and TA-DA!!!! You've got a leg warmer!!! Make another one justthe same and TA-DA!!!! You've got a pair of leg warmers :) So Simple!!!



Next find a super cute model to try them out on.


 Pie wore them on their own with a matching pink MCN (and her knitted ballerina bootees from Gran)

 

And also disccovered they look great over leggings and tights when its extra cold :)

My little model then went back for another nap (She had a very upset afternoon, lots of crying and cat napping after her first week on rice cereal has left her very constipated :( Poor bub!) and I finished the other pairs, resulting in 4 pairs of leg warmers in one afternoon. These really are an awesome nap time project, especially if you've got a cat napper like me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment